B i o g r a p h y
Trinity College Dublin, 2017-2018: MPhil in Creative Writing
- Writer Fellow. Trinity College Dublin. 2022
- John McGahern Award, 2021, for The Weight of Love: best Irish fiction debut
- Broadsheet Columnist of the Year, 2019: News Brands Ireland Journalism Awards
- National Theatre writer in association, 2004: Abbey centenary year
- Shortlisted, Newcomer of the Year, 2016, for Hopscotch: Bord Gáis Irish Book Awards
- Shortlisted, Novel of the Year, 2021, for The Weight of Love: Dalkey Literary Awards.
Published or performed work:
- Fiction: The Weight of Love, novel, 2020, published by Doubleday
- Memoir: Hopscotch, 2015, published by Doubleday
- Plays: Mackerel Sky, Bush Theatre, London, 1997 (Methuen); Doldrum Bay, Peacock Theatre, Dublin, 2003 (Methuen), and in translation in Germany and Canada; Red Ball, Abbey outreach, 2004 (Abbey); Phaedra, for Rough Magic theatre company, Project, Dublin, 2010 (Methuen); Famished Castle, for Rough Magic, Pavilion Theatre, 2015
Sleeping Around, written with Stephen Greenhorn, Abi Morgan and Mark Ravenhill, Donmar Warehouse, London, and internationally, 1998 (Methuen)
Radio plays for BBC and RTÉ:
Evelina, Red Feathers, Drop Zone, and others
Freelance feature writer, TV and book reviewer and, for the past decade, weekly columnist, all at The Irish Times
Ten years as a volunteer at Fighting Words creative writing centre, co-creator and mentor of a national playwriting programme for young writers. Co-author of “Making A Scene” The Young Playwright’s Programme for Fighting Words.
She is currently Writer Fellow at Trinity College Dublin where she teaches on the Masters Programme in The Oscar Wilde Centre.